Initially running for 6 months from August 2022, the FAM Healthier Together project sees Mandala Preston working with the community of Fishwick and St Matthews to support them in improving their health and wellbeing and reducing racism.
Funded by FAM Big Local, the Healthier Together programme is one strand of the wider Big Local project taking place in the area. We are working closely with the other funded partners (Let's Grow Preston, Strive 2 Thrive and Active Lancashire) to amplify each other's work to maximise best value and learning.
The Mandala element of the programme is delivered with Sahara which provides services for BAME women, and Preston Community Hub, a community centre for all residents.
We worked with residents to build the programme based on needs and wants and together we designed a programme of accessible yoga, gentle exercise, craft and music making. Some of the sessions are women only and others are family-friendly. We have embedded language and physical accessibility into the design of the programme. We have also designed the programme to be accessible to those who work in the daytime by including evening and weekend sessions.
- Increase physical activity - especially amongst those who find is difficult to access mainstream physical activity classes
- Improve confidence and self-esteem
- Increase understanding of how to care for mental & physical health
- Increase social mixing across ethnicities
- Celebrate cultural vibrancy and support the growth of pride in place
- Reduce social isolation
- Weekly programme of 5 activities each week for 6 months
- 290 sessions over 6 months across Accessible Yoga, Gentle Exercise, Music-making and Craft
- Monthly afternoon community events celebrating cultural vibrancy, bringing families and communities together to create memories and create the opportunity for friendships within the community and reduce division, suspicion and fear